Thursday, October 16, 2008

Resources to help you be a better tester...

A friend of mine sent me this mail today and I thought I would post my reply in a blog since it may be of interest to more people....

Hey Lou, how you doing?
I'm alright thanks. I was having a look at the AST web site and saw that you got recognition for your test report, well done!
So, in that regard, I was hoping you would be so kind as to tell me what you do to improve your self as a tester - what books do you read, web sites etc...
It is a broad request but if you could just give some of your favourite resources I would be most appreciative.


Hey R,

There are a few key areas that I focus on that I think hopefully make me a better tester:

There is one and only one conference for me... CAST! There is now a networking site around it.
For details on next years and previous years archives (there is some fantastic stuff in there)

Try and get to go to CAST - you get to network and you get inspired.
(I am also working on a ROI for your company sending you to CAST, and will hopefully share that soon on the blog as well).

Read read read - stuff about testing, stuff about people, stuff about psychology, stuff about business, stuff about learning...and by this I mean skim where necessary - you don't have to read every book cover to cover (something James taught me)

At the moment, I am reading:
Information dashboard design (Stephen Few)
The Fifth discipline (Peter Senge)
Perfect Software and other testing myths (one of the best books on testing... Gerry Weinberg)
The Black Swan – forget the author...
Tipping Point – Malcolm Gladwell
Time to Think – Nancy Kline
I am also reading some of my dad's old textbooks on Organisational behaviour which are quite interesting
Then I never am without my trusty testing "bible" - Lesson's learned in Software Testing – Kaner, Bach and Pettichord.

When it comes to reading I also read a whole LOT of blogs - (see my blogroll) and I subscribe to (and read most of what goes on in) the software-testing newsgroup on yahoo.


I also read Stickyminds when I see something interesting or am searching for something specific, as well as Methods and Tools, Testing Experience, STPMAG (so not everything in these, but whenever something catches my eye).

The really important part of my further education as a tester is the BBST course run by AST.

I am busy with my second module - Bug Advocacy. Once again it has been a real challenge and I have just gotten so much out of it its scary. Some of the material that was used as a basis to form the course can also be downloaded for NOTHING!

Then there are my trusty gurus..
Cem Kaner - see articles and publications
James Bach - see all sections - especially download the Rapid Software testing course slides and appendices.
I read everything I can get my hands on by these guys.... normally a lot more than once.

I learn a lot from my colleagues and from my network (my CAST buddies)...... the key here is that you have to ask.... insightful questions.
I learn a lot from whenever I put together some training and give a course and then try and make it better the next time.
I learn a lot everytime I try a new concept, see how it works and refine it for next time.
I learn a lot whenever I have to think about why something works or why it doesn't or when I need to solve a problem and take enough time to really think about it....

And I have a couple of fantastic mentors that blow my mind on a regular basis with their insight and abilities.

Hope this helps!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lou,
Thanks,that does help a lot. I guess as with most things the key thing is dedication and determination. You need to have that passion which you clearly have! Cheers, take care!
Ross